Changes!!

Well, my little brother is now a married man!! I had such a fabulous time in Dawson over the weekend...it was absolutely amazing to be there and share in the JOY of Brandon and Mandy! I had tons of fun moving them into their cozy little house, making a feast with mom for the rehearsal dinner, hanging with the fam (!!), freezing to death at the cabin (what a fantastic weekend for the temperature to plunge to -35!), being one of the "guys".....it was fun, laughs, and adventure the whole way. And the wedding was beautiful...simple, real, personal, and meaningful. I'll admit it's going to take me a while to adjust to the whole idea of Brandon being married, but I'm oh so happy for those two...the love between them is undeniable, and I don't think I've ever seen Brandon so at peace. Really. The best part of the wedding was having him sing the song he wrote for Mandy in the middle of the ceremony....thankfully Stephen kept his back pocket well-stocked with kleenex! :-)




Karen and Hope and I drove back to Edmonton last night, which was highly eventful...mostly because my car's heater decided to stop working properly, which is okay on a normal day, but not in -30!! So the windows kept icing up the whole way (I drove while Karen scraped furiously!!) Needless to say, by the time we finally got back to the city we were numb with cold!! Little Hope was snug and happy in her car seat bundled under layers and layers of blankets, though, which was the main thing I guess!!

So, one more big event out of the way, but there are more changes in store for me in the next little while that I'm super excited about! I've been desperately needing a job change for quite a while now...not because things are so horrible at Givens, but because I've gone as far as I can go there, and an accounting firm environment doesn't exactly allow a creative person like me to thrive!! Quite the opposite, actually!! That, combined with a less-than-healthy relationship with my boss (no need to go into all the details!) told me it was time to move on...but I was scared to death to do anything about it. I hate confrontation, and I hate to disappoint people, both of which would have to happen if I was going to quit!!

Two weeks ago I came across a job at Habitat for Humanity, though, that immediately grabbed me.....32 hours a week, flexible, interesting, and hey, it can't hurt to be part of a well-known and respected non-profit organization that's actually making a huge difference in the world! So I applied, started praying, got called for an interview, went and met with two of the head people there, got SUPER excited about the job after talking with them, prayed and stressed and tried to trust for a week while they interviewed other people and made their decision...then last Wednesday suddenly got the call that I'd been chosen!!! I couldn't quite believe it, but at the same time, it was just so RIGHT!

So the next day I gathered up every ounce of courage I possessed and did one of the hardest things I've ever done...walked into my boss's office out of the blue and gave my notice!! Um....yes....it was terrifying! But the freedom and sweet relief and utter joy that flooded me when I did it was unbelievable. And that's the feeling I'm still basking in.....like this isn't just the simple act of quitting one job and moving on to another....like it's so much more significant than that. I suddenly feel like I'm standing out in the wide open spaces again, free, expectant, excited, anticipating. I'm not held down any more under the grip of manipulation and control, I'm not going to just "settle", I'm not accepting boredom and monotony...I'm heading into a position, into an organization, that's going to let my creativity soar, that's going to challenge me, that's going to give me meaningful community involvement, and that's going to open the door to a whole world of opportunity both here and overseas!

So, two more weeks left at Givens!! Today was crazy...a whole lot of tears, a whole lot of shock, a whole lot of half-joking nasty emails, a lot of harassment, and a lot of love and sadness. I'm overwhelmed to think that I could leave such a huge hole there...I can't quite believe the favor God's given me, even if just for a year and a half. I'm going to miss the team and our frequent elastic band fights and all the pranks we pulled on eachother and the weekly office competitions we organized...and my favorite two clients who sneaked by today and slipped me $600 in cash for Christmas "just because you do such a great job for us!" But thankfully I won't have much time to let the emotions and nostalgia take over, because the rest of the month will be jam-packed full of training and organizing and setting people up to take over my duties. Thrill.

But hey...just over a week till Christmas!!!!!! Bring on the JOY!!! :-)

0 comments: